Friday, January 9, 2009

Talks in January

Next Friday at 1:00 p.m. I'll be giving a talk at Mira Costa College as a part of their LIFE program. If you've been reading here you know that this is the International Year of Astronomy and my talk will help to celebrate that. In the talk I'll review some of the discoveries of Galileo and then move on to the reflecting telescope, the development of Palomar Observatory, the research we do at Palomar and the large telescopes of the future that are coming. Finally, I'll point out some of the many ways that people can participate in the International Year of Astronomy.

I'll even explain what what all of this has to do with Mr. Spock.

The talk is free and open to the public. More information is available by calling (760) 721-8124. The program has lots of talks on a wide-range of subjects. Click here for their full calendar of events.

On the 24th I'll be giving a talk for the Friends of Palomar Observatory on the history of building the 200-inch Hale Telescope. I will also cover some of the fantastic research Sorry, but this one is for members only.

No comments: