Monday, July 26, 2010

Palomar History Photo of the Week - July 26, 2010

One day about a year and a half ago I got a packet of Palomar Observatory construction photos in the mail. They were saved and sent to us by Al Howard. I heard from Al recently as he asked if he could come up for a tour and bring his 96-year old father. I was happy to accommodate them on their recent visit.

As it turns out his father, Albert Howard, worked at the observatory in the mess hall in 1936. I recalled that I happened to have a group photo of people in front of the observatory mess hall that was taken around the time he worked here. I wondered, was he in it?

Yes, Albert Howard is in the group photo!

Here is a modern shot of Albert (left) and Al (right):

I realize that after 74 or so years that may not be quite enough for you to pick him out in the group shot above. Albert Howard is in the very back row, 4th from the left. Here is a now and then shot for you:


So many years later, it is very rare opportunity to have the chance to meet one of the people who helped to make Palomar Observatory a reality. We are certainly thankful for all of the hard work that was put in by Albert Howard and everyone who worked on the Palomar project.

2 comments:

J said...

I should have stopped reading...I'm sure I could have picked him out!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing a great story Scott!
All the best at Palomar...
Regards,
Phill