Thursday, March 19, 2009

Just Shoot Yourself (Photographically)

I can't tell you how many times I have helped some of our visitors by taking their photo in front of the dome. A photo of yourself and friends in front of the dome is a nice souvenir to bring back from a visit to Palomar. Unfortunately there isn't always someone around to help with a photographic emergency.

The Palomar day crew has come to the rescue by installing two camera posts that will make it easy for our visitors to photographically shoot themselves in front of the dome.


Just place your camera on the post pointed toward the dome, set the timer, hit the shutter and go. Its that easy.

I decided to try it out this morning just to make sure it works. Here I am as snapped from the far post. It is located near where the visitors path crosses a staff service road.


The second post is close to the dome and a great place to assemble large groups.

See it there to the left of the path?

Keep in mind that your mileage may vary. I shot these with my wide-angle lens. Also the camera platforms are level, but Palomar Mountain isn't. I wanted the dome to look pretty in both of my shots, so I propped my camera up a bit with my wallet.

1 comment:

Kimber said...

Excellent idea!