Saturday, August 15, 2009

70 Years Ago this Week

I found a nice bundle in my mail earlier this week. Some old slides and negatives mailed to me by Roger Carpenter. They are Palomar-related pictures that were taken by his father, an astronomer from Steward Observatory in Arizona.

I will post some others from time to time but this one really struck me because it:

1) arrived in my mail on August 12 -- 70 years to the day after it was taken.

2) is a rare color photograph taken looking into the Caltech Optical Shop while the 200-inch mirror was there.

This photo was scanned just a few minutes ago. Apart from some people in Roger's family, the visitors to Palomar Skies, are the first people to see this photo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not pretend to be an expert on this, but the room seems almost modern looking from what I expected.

Is it the lighting or something else?

Palomar Observatory said...

Perhaps it is that the building has no windows?

Palomar Observatory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.