Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Another Fine Model Hale Telescope

A little over two years ago I got an email question with regard to a blog post I made with photos looking into the west arm of the Hale Telescope. I didn't realize at the time that the person asking the question, Rick Etheridge, was building a 1/63 scale model of the Hale.

Recently Rick sent me some photos of his model and he has allowed me to post them here for everyone to enjoy.

If you look closely you'll see that Rick has paid close attention to detail and added nice extras like the Hartmann screen (at right) and the dark, open mirror cover. Another fine example of his work is the view looking down into prime focus:

Notice that there is a chair for the observer and what looks to be a plate holder. The dark thing directly above (from this perspective) prime focus is the housing for the coudé mirror.

Finally, here is a look at the west arm of the telescope. Notice that he included the stairs inside the arm. Nice work, Rick!

This isn't the first model of the Hale to be featured here, you may recall the one I posted back in June that was also in Sky & Telescope magazine.

2 comments:

jg said...

A beautiful labor of love. I hope to see the "real" model sometime.

jg

Selden said...

It looks great!

s.